Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Convicting Silence: Functional Fiction

Today I write because my silence condemns me. A block has occured to thwart
my meagre abilities and frustrate my ambitious desires to add comment where
those that care to care can share.

SITREP: Exams and assignments for semester one over and the liberty of no
guilt when time is spent away from study.

God continues to bless with teaching and reaching, speaking and seeking. Am
I going into a slight depression which seems to pervade my fibre when I
don't have a pressing task to distract my focus?

Many instances of the Holy Spirit arising as a teaching or discussion point
- prayer meeting, sunday school, sunday message, Keith Green devotional,
Rick Warren in PDL - certainly is allowing a focus on the entity and
character that He is.

Today's annoyance: secular (or Christian) music that mainstreams Angels as
a "new age" or spiritual representation of a "higher power". Although I
can't wait to see the angels in this world or the next, I think it is too
touchy feely and playing into the hands of an agenda of watered down
spirituality just to make the ignorant feel good about addressing the
spiritual. Maybe I am just extra grumpy today and should pull my head in -
Bah humbug!!

=============================

I want to write some fiction for the following reasons:

1. Andrew has challenged us today to do so.
2. It is something that I should be doing to allow the expression and
development of my creative desire
3. The unreal can be so much more liberating/satisfying/secure/benign than
the reality before us.
4. I feel that every day there is a function of fiction in the roles that I
play and the expectations others have of me. Is this just me or do we all
feel this way? Should I feel like a fraud when others are getting the
fictional me, or is my reality presented differently depending on audience?
Is the fraud not in the different representations, some more me than
others, but in the agenda or hoped for gain by presenting differently? If I
do it subconsciously is it to be held to account against me, or is it in
fact my reality? No conscious agenda must mitigate any guilt felt by
knowing the real me and the difference between me and what you
see?!?!?!?!?!?

hmmmm - perhaps I had better spend tonight grounding in the real world -
hot date with Kel to go see Shrek 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Redbaerd said...

Marcaus?

Hope you happen to read this -- because i've been having a heck of a time getting any email to work up here in the northern woods.

having a glorious time, but feeling badly that i wasn't able to reach you.

I tried twice, but never quite managed the international protocols given my new phone service provider (at a different location). I feel like i need someone who does logistics and communiations for the military to help me just place a call!

The long and short is --

we'd love to have you and have pretty much cleared our (already flexible) holiday calendar -- except for the days on both sides of Christmas.

As for the weather -- no new predictions there. I don't know if i gave you rough temperatures? I'd guess anywhere from 20 - 40 degrees Farenheit -- which I could calculate the diff. in my head.

HOPING that the visit works out. The whole family is excited. I didn't realize what status had been conferred upon your country in my children's mind because of (sheepishly he admits) Finding Nemo.

Best to Kel...

love.
~andrew