Sunday, February 15, 2004

Thick Fog and Thick Heads

What would I give up for God? Would I give up my job, my house, my wife? What would I give up for God?

Driving down off the mountain to work the other day the fog was quite thick (supposedly the middle of summer!). As the fog thickens the traffic is forced to slow down to give enough reaction time, ie visibility determines the speed of travel. So too in life, as visibility of what is coming decreases, it has become increasingly apparent that we need to slow down to allow ourselves the ability to react in time to any unforeseen events figuratively speaking - another car, pot hole, road kill etc.

How does this sit with a Christian perspective? Should not a faith in God remove the need for reaction time?

Where does our Christian road sense end and flying blind with God in charge begin?

Should we ever consider ourselves in the driver's seat? Would you reach over and grab the wheel from the passenger seat if another was driving in the fog? When do we let God take the wheel? Should I always be in the passenger seat?

I am sure Wayne Watson sang about two hands on the wheel a while ago - finally out of control for God!

===================

We had better get used to talking to God because one day that is what we are going to be doing in Heaven. We know the reality of this, so why can't we dedicate time and effort to maintain a dialogue with him now? How hard can it be? Do we have to vocalise? Doesn't God know our hearts groanings through the Holy Spirit's intercession?

k143
m<><

No comments: