Saturday, February 07, 2004

Promotion, Prayer, Passion, Pride & Power

Can I say that best intentions are thwarted by the reality of life? Once again writing will be to catch up rather than to maintain and develop thoughts.

Last Friday I was promoted. K was excited and I think I am, but to be honest I have been too busy to figure out whether I am or not. The funny thing is, I am working at least as twice as hard as last year (not out of choice), and I think I am enjoying it. Different responsibilities, different boss, isn’t it funny how God can provide blessings in a manner contrary to our desires. I don’t think I was praying for a massively increase in workload!?


Another storm of the century passed through recently (two in two months!?! Time was created for man, not God) Ethan was watching it out of the window, sheets of water, hail stacking up in the gutters, wind blowing – turns to Mum and asks as only a 4 year old could – “Mum, were we praying for run?… This much rain?”


Last night in the city I started talking to a young man who was sitting begging. He claimed to be homeless, jobless, unable to get welfare as he was from New Zealand and had not been in Australia long enough to qualify. I shared with him a tract and tried to elicit some hope with him. He appeared very resigned to having had bad luck his whole life. Pray for Trent, he has our church address and contact, pray he might respond and that we might have hearts for those who, through choice or circumstance believe their options are limited and cannot see beyond, if indeed up to, their next meal or squat.


Feeling settled about an opportunity taken after talking to Trent we made our way back to the car to head home. satan had a plan. A good night amongst the bright lights of city shops, China town (why were we in a Japanese restaurant?), second hand bookshops – finished up with a typical car park standoff I am sure would be the basis of at least one Seinfeld episode, and good character material for Homer Simpson. My pride defeated me. It took advice, insight and pointed discussion from my wife to highlight the contrast of my passion for a homeless man against the pride of my trying to prove a point in getting out of the car park.


Sunday night video series – three chairs. Last week we learnt we need to be in the first chair with God. Very empowering to see how our relationship with God can be boiled down to a hierarchical metaphor.

Seeking the First Chair,
Remaining aware,
Remembering our only care,
A reason for no despair.

No comments: