Saturday, January 31, 2004

The Two-Day Weekend Becomes A Day of Work for Self and a Traditional Sabbath

This year K and I have determined that the humanistic philosophy of five days of work and two days of leisure does not become us. Probably more out of the reality of needing to spend Saturday doing all the work for ourselves that the working week schedule does not allow us to get done Mon to Fri. But it was nice for a short while to consider ourselves Pharisaic in our application of the law to our lifestyles! I am feeling very religious about the work ethic on the Sabbath though.

Recognition in the law of lifestyle aspects that apply, out of necessity or choice, in a modern world is sometimes interesting, sometimes shocking. What about tithing? Why not give one day a fortnight to full time service instead of work. Does that qualify as one tenth, one twelth or one fourteenth? Why does all giving end up being boiled down to dollars? And can I really claim a mouldy sandwich in my lunchbox as a modern day version of the temple showbread?!

Tomorrow I start a further commitment for this year, despite my subconscious mantra of deciding to become as disinstitutionalised as possible. I will be the leader in Sunday School opening time. Quite ironic, given my perceived lack of children skills. Maybe my childlike heart will help. Oh to be more childlike in the areas that really matter.

No comments: