Thursday, January 08, 2004

New Year, New Cheer

New Year, New Cheer

So I am winding up my time away from vocational obligation and making the most of my last 4 days at home before work starts again. Time on the road with family has drawn K and I away from our normal routine and into a surreal world of family survival, fitting in with other people's domestic routines, being fraternally polite for harmony's sake. But now back home normal routine, household running and personal administration must be resumed.

And I am faced with the list of jobs that remain undone and have to be out of the road before work distracts me mentally and physically.

Coming back to my real world, I am returning to the routine of worship and meditation, of centreing spiritually where holiday routine has "uncentred" me.

The gradual realisation that in the New Year there is no New Cheer save for that which has carried my spirit throughout the last - that is the strength that the Lord offers if we would allow him.

Read an old quote in a diary entry last note - God can only do impossible things when he has crushed impossible people - I don't want to be crushed and I try not to be impossible. Praise God for his patience.

Books read this break:

Surgeon of Crawthorn - Simon Winchester
If You Want to Write - Brenda Ueland
Secret Lives - Australian 2003 short story anthology
A Lawyer's Life - Johnny Cochrane

Enough philology - real world beckons

m<><

No comments: