Saturday, January 24, 2004

Another week older, but no more mature

Another week older, but no more mature

Another week nearly over
Another seven days closer to quitting this earthly realm
Another seven days less to make meaning of my life
Another seven days less to make a difference

But this past seven days did make a difference
Invested in relationships with my Pastors
Poured long purposeful hours into work
Played much backgammon with K and suffered both the consequences of victory and defeat
Reminded of the need to depend less on material surety and more on faith
Enjoyed the pleasure of early mornings, late nights, fulfilled weariness and new music
Experienced the joy and tension of a father’s account of playing the tooth fairy, fearful of discovery
Became jealous that I don’t have a scarf story
Wondered if I would ever get to grow up

Growing up is all relative, or is it dependent on relatives, namely your own children. Perhaps the absence of any younger generation in our house predisposes the mean maturity level to sink lower as no veneer of formality, responsibility or example setting is required.

K reminds me occasionally that I am in need of a reality check, but unless I ever live the restless sleep of responsibility for the next generation I think I can continue to bluff her and abide in my dream world.

I mean, I have been doing it at work for years!

m<><

No comments: