Wednesday, August 13, 2003

Technology has its frustrations

Technology has its frustrations. Finally I am back after a week of glitches, mainly due to templating problems!

Life has been good this past week - relationships developed, experiences had, no profound progress towards any tangible goals but sometimes it is the intangible that is most important. I like the thought that the only things that matter when this realm is behind us are relationships and experiences, nothing of material value will count.

3 am this morning and I am standing in the rain, on top of the roof unblocking a downpipe! I am sure that there is a spiritual application there, let me dwell and return to enlighten later. Must away and see if the doctor wishes to restrict my future career prospects with a detrimental medical assessment.

Later:

I am still alive and have been given a green light for continued employment at Her Majesty's pleasure.

Application of my early morning experience: lying in bed, hearing the rain fall and the wind rush through the gum trees, knowing that I had not cleared the gutters recently I wondered if there would be a price to pay. The sound of gutters overflowing was not deafening: distinct enough to be recognised but subtle enough to be ignored. A sense of duty and practicality drove me from my slumber and forced firstly confirmation of the problem, and secondly the resolve to do something about it. It also gave me an excuse to stand in front of the fire enjoying the warmth and the light that played on the kitchen walls after the effort of climbing onto the roof, torch in hand, cutting a quick lap around the slippery perimeter, all the while testing the friction quotient of my warn out runners which now masquerade as yard shoes.

As Christians we often face situations or decisions that are loud enough to be noticed, but subtle enough to be ignored. What motivates us to act? From where is our sense of duty derived? And what simple pleasures may await us after we have answered the need before us? What provides the grip for our feet, the rain may be cold, the roof may be slippery, our shoes may be worn, and the very predicament we find ourselves in may be the result of our own original inaction - but some things just have to be done. And we genereally can't expect our wives to be taking care of house maintenance in the fury of the storm - a goading for husbands to take a lead in the spirtual walk.

Enough for today - m<><

No comments: